Sunday 2 November 2014

Ideal Sweets



Ideal Sweets is an Indian Sweet Shop and Bakery that recently opened on Tooting High Street. The front is painted in an eye catching red (unfortunately I haven't been able to get a photo).

I've never really been a massive fan of Indian Sweets or Methai (as they're otherwise known; for the purpose of this post I will refer to them as Indian Sweets or Sweets.) The reason being is I've found that they can sometimes be unbearably sweet. I once tried a Chocolate Barfi thinking that as it's got chocolate on the top I'll be able to eat it but I didn't even finish half of it. I do however really like Laddu and I've often found myself craving them. The ingredients include flour, sugar, milk and rice, depending on the type of Laddu. Okay, enough about my likes/dislikes and back to Ideal Sweets. 

On the weekend that Ideal Sweets opened their sweets were half price and as you can guess there were long queues on all 3 days so I decided to wait. I think the first time I went was later on in the week. 
As you walk into the shop you're greeted with a warm sweet smell and a large selection of sweets to choose from. As it was my first visit I asked for a piece or two of mostly everything to be put into the box. The prices are reasonable: a kilo of sweets costs £9 while a half kilo costs £4.



The sweets in the above photo have almost become my standard order (everytime I go these are generally the ones that I get). The selection includes (from the left): Rasgulla, Pista Barfi (the green sweet), Gajar Halwa (which is made with carrots) and Habshi Halwa (the brown sweet and my favourite!) 
If I could only recommend one of these tasty sweets to try I would choose Habshi Halwa, no hesitation! I can probably eat at least 2 pieces if not 3. Habshi Halwa is chewy, sticky, almost like toffee (only nicer). It does contain nuts however and a few other sweets might do as well so if you're allergic to nuts check before buying.

I'm watching my sugar intake so I won't be getting another box for a while...I won't leave it too long though.

Post written by Nabs.

Ideal Sweets and Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment