Thursday 17 March 2016

Korean Fried Chicken at Cheemc, Review.

Post written by Sammii.

Don't you love a humble, hidden, hush-hush, Houdini-wouldn't-even-want-to-escape-from-here, kinda restaurant! This Korean restaurant on Walworth road has been sitting right under my nose since December 2014! 

Cheemc is located amongst the many pizza, fried chicken and kebab restaurants near Elephant and Castle tube station. Up until this weekend I had always thought that it was another donar kebab shop! Oh boy was I wrong! If Cheemc had any similarities with these normal takeaway shops is that it specializes in fried chicken! Though not any kind of fried chicken... Korean fried chicken!

"I dream of the day where donar kebab shops are replaced by Korean fried chicken stalls!"

I would say that Korean fried chicken is gently rising in popularity in London since the opening of On The Bab. 
Cheemc, Walworth Road
My friend was visiting me this weekend and she had a craving for yangnyum chicken, so I went off and did some researching online and came across this little place. It had been recommended by local Koreans and with instagram being my deciding factor, I thought I would give Cheemc a try. 

Cheemc is a tiny restaurant seating under 30 people. The menu was handed to us, and what struck us was that alot of things on the menu had been crossed out! A shame really because I would have liked to try some of the black pudding dishes!
Cheemc menu, Walworth Road
Cheemc, Walworth Road
Green Tea £1 per person. 
Cheemc, Walworth Road
Kimchee £2.50
This kimchee sure had a kick to it which I enjoyed, it was fresh and crunchy. 
Cheemc, Walworth Road- Kimchee Jeon
Kimchee Jeon £6.50
This was one of my favourite dishes! It was nice and crispy on the outside, a nice amount of filling on the inside, without making it soggy and just the right amount of spice! Hands down best jeon I have ever had!
Cheemc, Walworth Road- Japchae
Japchae £7.50
Cheemc, Walworth Road
Cheemc, Walworth Road- Toppoki
Toppoki £6- Rice cake with sweet chilli sauce with fish cake.
This was the second awakening to our taste buds, it was very spicy! If I had this to myself, my face would have needed a towel for sure! It had a good flavour, although the rice cakes could have done with more boiling as the rice cakes were a tad too tough for my liking. 
Cheemc, Walworth Road- Fried seaweed roll
Fried Seaweed Roll (2 pound something- sorry I forgot the price and the proper name!)
Very nice- sorry I can't be more descriptive than this!
Lemme try again then- The food came out piping hot! Just the way I like it!
Cheemc, Walworth Road- Yangnyum chicken
Yangnyum Chicken (above) and Soy Chicken (below), half of each, £17.50. 
Cheemc, Walworth Road
You know how the TV is the center piece to place all your furniture around in the living room. The Korean fried chicken is the centerpiece on this dining table! A TV playing an addictive, plot ensnaring TV series, the episodes will be played one after the other.  The Korean fried chicken will go one by one!

The chicken did not disappoint, I was very happy with the generous portion size! The chicken was the real chicken and not the bits that no body wanted: thigh, breast, drumstick, everything was in there! My friend, Lady A, enjoyed how moist the chicken was and the how the outer skin was sweet and beautifully glazed.

It can get very busy in here especially around dinner time, luckily we got there earlier at around 6ish, by the time we left an hour or so later there were 2 sets of diners waiting to be seated. As the place was very small as well, I found that there was always a constant draft, which made it quite breezy if you were to sit nearer to the front of the restaurant. All in all however for a good eat no fuss restaurant, this little demure place is a definite place to visit!

For 3 of us diners the price came to £18 each.

Atmosphere- 5/10
Service- 7/10
Food- 9/10

Chocolate Sushi Rating- 8/10
Cheemc Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment: