Monday 5 June 2017

REVIEW: Zima Russian Street Food and Bar

Sammii here!
So update on my life.. 
I have finished my exams recently, so these two weeks have involved me catching up with people I haven't seen since I declared myself a hermit during exam season. 
On Sunday I met up with my cousin and usually we like to eat some place cheap and easy but on odd days I say we have to venture out and go some place random. We were wandering around Soho and stumbled across Zima, a Russian restaurant. We both have never tried Russian food before so we decided to give it a go! It's always interesting to try food from different countries. 

The waitress explained to us that it was a tapas style menu where people would usually order 2/3 plates each to share together. So me n my cuz got ordering and ordered 4 plates together to share. 
'Pelmeni'- Beef and Venison Dumplings- Cep consomme, sour cream sauce (£9)
Dumplings! :D Is it me or you just can't go wrong with dumplings? These were like the Chinese ones, but not as nice.. though I am slightly biased :P 
The dumplings were filled with some soup and a dry piece of meat on the inside, the sour cream dipping sauce really went nicely with the dumplings. Yuuuum. 
Don Uka Fish Soup- Fish stock, chicken stock, salmon, cod, potatoes, roasted cherry tomatoes (£6.50)
The soup we ordered came with a side of dense bread. the soup was very fishy and it was quite light, nice for an autumn day. 
Short Rib Beef Stroganoff- ceps, sauteed new potatoes (£10.90)
 This was my favourite dish that we ordered, the beef was fall-off-the-fork soft, the sauce was slightly mustardy and the potatoes well roasted. 
Slow Cooked Lamb Tongue- Buckwheat, oyster mushrooms, horseradish and garlic tomato sauce (£8.50)
This was an interesting one for me, my cousin loves ordering dishes with animal insides i've noticed! Haha. I thought that the tongue was quite hard and the taste- like gut, I wasn't too keen on the tongue. The buckwheat had a pickled flavour and was soft. 

And seeing as we were doing all things Russian today, we washed down our meal with a vodka apple cocktail, it was a summer specials cocktail priced at £5. They had an extensive list of vodkas on the drinks menu, which I am very keen to try some more of :) Fun fact: Sammii's drink of choice- VODKA :D (not including tea of course!)
All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my first Russian foodie experience- especially the stroganoff and vodka :))

Atmosphere- 8/10
Service- 8/10
Food- 7/10

Chocolate Sushi Rating- 7/10
Zima Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment