Saturday 25 October 2014

BunnyChow- Nothing to do with eating Rabbits!

BunnyChow! Nothing to do with eating rabbits!

To be honest when my friend first invited me to try a bunnychow out I (Sammii) had no idea what it was! She described it to me as a bread box filled with a stuffing, with a cute little lid! Cute name, cute lid! I was sold! BunnyChow first started off as a pop up van in June 2013, since then, it has opened a permanent residence in Shorditch BOXPARK and more recently its new Bunny Bar on Wardour Street, Soho. 

Yesterday I visited its newest branch on Wardour Street, opened in September 2014. 

A little bit of history behind BunnyChow

The food bunnychow is a South African street food, it consists of a hollowed out piece of loaf of bread filled with curry. Stories say that the bunnychow originated when workers from India were brought over to South Africa to work the sugar cane plantations. They needed a way to transport their lunch. 
#no-dish-washing-required
I chose the Bangcluck Bunny "Chicken, squash, beansprouts & Thai ginger sauce"- £6.50
                   pic name pic name
I loved the subtle ginger kick in the sauce, it tasted just like a Thai green curry minus the fire. The sauce was a bit too thick for my liking but I liked the generous helping of veggies on top. The chicken meat on the other hand... I thought this dish was meant to come with chicken??

The way the sauce soaked into the walls of the bread loaf, was one of the little joys while eating this. It reminded me of dunking bread into a bowl of soup on a sick Winter's day in front of a open fire. BunnyChow is one of the be-all's of comfort food. 
Monkey Gland Bunny-"Meatballs, peppers & Monkey Glad BBQ Sauce"- £6.50
I enjoyed the Monkey Gland Bunny more than the Bangcluck Bunny! The sauce was a nicer consistency- one which soaked into the walls better.

For me, once the novelty of eating your food from an edible bread box wears out, I would find no reason to eat this again. 
The staff of this branch were on top form, they were very friendly and helpful, even gave us a few samples to help us choose which Bunny to buy, and an extra sample during our meal! One way to get on the good side of me- free stuff! Especially free food! A friend who gives you food is a friend for life I say! 

There were alot of BunnyChow branded goods to choose from as well!
        


Atmosphere- 7/10
Service- 10/10
Food- 6/10
Chocolate Sushi Rating- 6/10


Bunnychow on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment