Saturday 11 October 2014

Destination Star Trek 3

Hi! It's Nabs here, It's been a while since I last posted! This post isn't related to food but to my second love: Star Trek! So this one is for all you Star Trek fans out there!

Last Saturday I attended Destination Star Trek (DST) at the Excel Centre. I can't believe it's been a week already, time flies! I missed out on going to the Destination Star Trek in London in 2012 and to the second one which was in Germany in February 2014, so as soon as it was announced that the third one was going to be in London again I knew I had to go!!

I have been a fan of Star Trek since I was young. I grew up watching The Original Series, The Next Generation, Voyager and Enterprise.

I bought my tickets in June as soon as they went up on the website for sale. I bought a standard entry ticket for £29 and 4 photoshoot tickets: Nichelle Nichols, Brent Spiner, a Borg Regeneration Chamber photoshoot and the Next Generation Bridge photoshoot.

I won't go into detail on everything otherwise this will be a very long post, instead I will write about my favourite moments from the day.

Entry was at 9am but I got to the Excel Centre early so I could buy tokens for Brent Spiner autographs. (Autograph tokens are exchanged for autographs at DST).

My first photoshoot of the day was with Nichelle Nichols who played Uhura in Star Trek the Original Series, the 6 films that followed and Star Trek the Animated Series. I also went to her talk in the afternoon and it was a privilege to hear her speak. She is an extraordinary woman: she knew Martin Luther King who encouraged her not to quit Star Trek and she worked with NASA in the 1970s. She was joined on the stage by Robert Picardo, it was an added bonus to hear him speak!


Some of the costumes from the museum:




    


The atmosphere during the whole day was great! Everyone I met was so friendly, the staff were brilliant, everyone knew what they were doing!

Klingon Zone



As well as the Photoshoot sets, the Autograph Area, and the stalls selling Star Trek merchandise, there was also the Klingon Zone where people were relaxing over a coffee or a bite to eat and the Screening Zone where they were showing episodes of the Original Series; at one point my favourite episode 'The City on the Edge of Forever' was on.

My favourite character from Star Trek the Next Generation is Data who was played by Brent Spiner. Queuing in the autograph area waiting to meet him I was both nervous and excited, I mean I was going to see Data, in person! (well Brent Spiner but still!!) He was lovely, and once I started talking to him I calmed down.


 I was lucky enough to see Brent Spiner another two times: firstly when I went to his talk where he was answering questions from fans, talking about Star Trek and other non-Star Trek roles, and was extremely funny. I was disappointed when the talk was over, I was hooked from start to finish. The second time I saw him was during my photoshoot later on in the afternoon though there was barely any time for talking. Still at least I got to see him again :))

The other two photoshoots (Borg Regeneration Chamber and Next Generation Bridge) were extremely fun to do, especially the Next Generation Bridge Photoshoot (I sat in the captain's chair of course!)



Other guests who attended DST included William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, Marina Sirtis, Karl Urban, Bruce Greenwood, Tim Russ, Jeri Ryan.

I stayed until after 6 and really didn't want to leave, the day had been so much fun! I can't wait for the next one!! Until next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment